November 26, 2013
By Cheryl Silver/CU-CitizenAccess.org -- This month marks the fourth anniversary of my father’s death. It’s also the fifth year I’ve recognized November as Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month.
My dad’s story is eerily similar to so many others who’ve battled the disease. In July of 2008, he complained of a minor pain in his stomach. When a double-hernia surgery didn’t resolve the issue, his doctor recommended a...
November 21, 2013
By Pamela G. Dempsey/CU-CitizenAccess -- Dozens of Champaign County residents – past and present – are set to lose more than $12,000 total by the end of November.
Known as “Abandoned Bonds,” the cash is from unclaimed money by those who posted bonds on court cases that have since been resolved.
November 20, 2013
City safety inspectors find hundreds of fire hazards and safety violations in fraternities and sororities at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign each year, yet it can take months before some violations are corrected, inspection documents show.
Almost all of the 60 fraternities and sororities inspected in 2012 had violations, many of which included disconnected smoke detectors, overloaded extension...
November 20, 2013
By Robert Holly/CU-CitizenAccess -- Though the City of Urbana’s website has been down for nearly two weeks, city officials said they still don’t know when it will be back up.
See the condition of nursing homes with our interactive map and reports
On one side of the coin, many worry about war fatigue and fear of triggering greater conflicts in the Middle East. On the other, fear that a failure to take action against Syrian President Bashar Assad’s regime will “embolden war criminals, dictators and despots for years to come.”
Peking Garden, 206 N. Randolph St., Champaign, was closed on July 2 with an adjusted score of 18 percent after a failing routine inspection in June.
On July 2, inspectors cited Peking Garden for 16 repeat violations and three critical violations, including cooked rice that was improperly cooling, an employee washing hands in the food preparation sink and spray bottles that were not labeled with their contents.