How to file a restaurant complaint

Screen shot
A screen shot from the Champaign Urbana Public Health District's webpage - http://home/citizenaccess/

Restaurant goers in Champaign County can call the Champaign Urbana Public Health District at (217) 373-7900 to file a complaint against the business if it’s located in the twin cities, or (217) 363-3269 if it’s in the county.

They could also fill out and submit this form from the health district’s website, or file a complaint in person at the health district located at 201 W. Kenyon Road in Champaign.

A person could file complaints with the health district against any type of establishment that serves food, such as grocery stores and gas stations.

If a person thinks he or she has a food-related illness or injury, he or she can call the Epidemiologist Awais Vaid at  (217) 531-5360 during the week or (217) 531-3386 during the weekends.

When filing a complaint, the health district needs the name of the food business, address, city, and the date and time the person visited it. They also need to notify the health district if they talked to someone at the facility regarding the complaint and what that person’s job is (i.e., waiter, manager).

Complaints can be anonymous, but anonymous complaints are not investigated until the establishment’s next inspection, which could be several months after the complaint is filed.

If a person gives the health district his or her name, address and telephone number when filing a complaint, it is considered a formal complaint and the health district investigates it in less than 24 hours if it endangers public health.

If the health district finds a complaint does not endanger public health, it is investigated within 10 business days.

Complaint records show that a health inspector typically follows up with an in-person investigation or a phone call for every complaint.

Leave a Reply